Hairbrained Scheme

Was talking with Jei about Manga production companies... She was saying how everyone always complains about the low quality of the books, even though they print so many in a run that they will never really become collectors items. My idea, tired and hungry as I was (we were in a bookstore after failing to get to a yoga class) was for the manga companies to have 3 parts to their business. 1, the manga writing. Pretty straightforward. Then, they put them on the interwebz. 2, they sell crappy paper, binding materials, printers, and ink on the cheap. And 3, they sell really nice trade paperback (and, for their really successful titles, hard cover) books of manga. Seems like a pretty simple horizontal business model, though it would require a bit of investment capital right at the beginning (to kick-start the printing-material production aspect). We left the bookstore, changed conversations, ate some pizza, and then went home.

When I got back, I saw another reincarnation of the People Pay for Form, Not Content argument on boingboing.net. This particular entry on boingboing was in regard to an article ("Post-Medium Publishing") where Paul Graham argues that we've been paying for form all along. To super-duper paraphrase, "[A great paperback book is approximately the same price as a bad one. Same with hard covered books. But a brilliant paperback is still cheaper than a terrible hard cover.]"

Publishing is (and always has been) running on the bottled water model-- the water's free. But the bottle. That's $2.50.

Now this is interesting to think of, in terms of intellectual property rights, obviously. Ideologically, I support Creative Commons, and have been wrestling a lot with the notion that gaining recognition as a writer nowdays means operating, at least partially, inside old int. property rights models (which I really don't support).

That was when I developed my hairbrained scheme. Or. Well. My newest hairbrained scheme.

Keep doing the "sub to lit mags" thing. Then, every time a story gets published, just put it out under one of the creative commons licenses (provided I get my rights back.... I don't know if I would sign a contract where I regained and retained no rights, anyhow. Unless it were me writing romance novels, or Holywood scripts which I didn't care about, of course). Then, set up in the CC license for anyone using my work to direct people to my website, where I will set up a service to commission a hand-bound book of 1+ of my stories.

I realize that this would never ever make any money. But it would be really fun, and crafty, and I have a feeling I would learn a lot doing it. AND, of course, it would be very much in-tune with both the pragmatic realities of the publishing biz (you pay for materials, not for words), and with my ideals.

So. Whaddaya think?

That's great.

I'm going for it. Anyone know HOW I can learn to bind books?

3 comments:

Lux said...

You can start with my instructable on casebound books:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-bind-a-book/

It's fairly time-consuming to do, but not particularly difficult.

Do you read the Techdirt blog? Michael Masnick et al have created a "formula" for a successful campaign around marketing free products: CwF+RtB, "Connect with Fans + Reason to Buy". Selling scarce special goods (like handbound copies or nice hardcovers) only works if you're creating things your fans want. Writing is a little harder to adapt to this new business model, since traditionally we don't sell t-shirts or have concerts/paid readings like a band would, but that's no excuse. The "freemium" model is the foundation on which most webcomics are based, and it seems to afford a fair number of them the chance to live off their earnings. (Perfect example is Blind Ferret Productions [Least I Could Do and Looking For Group], who've never stopped trying to find new ways for fans to support them).

The only way to succeed is to do it. Let me know when you open Publishing House 2.0, and I'll give you some exclusive stuff.

Kara said...

BRILLIANT.

floraldeoderant said...

NICE, Austin!

I somehow skimmed over the "...MY instructibles..." portion, and when I was reading through it, kept thinking "I KNOW this voice. It sounds so very familiar."

Yeah! I just need to figure out where to get some of the supplies, over here. Or, at worst, get my parentfolks to mail me supplies as a "zomg i'm in korea, but i still have a birthday" gift. Nice.

The type of book in your instructible seems perfect starting out-- pretty simple, and the finished product'll look damn nice, I believe. Eventually, I wanna start experimenting with different materials (Leather! Different binding techniques! Clasps! Using supplies that relate to each story! etc.)

I will post something when I have the supplies to start binding (and have done a few mockups), calling all you GC folks to send me stuff so I can perfect my technique. I'd like to ship those books back to you, if I can. Perhaps a GC collection? 1 from each of us, if people are interested? Hmmm.. we shall see.